Wednesday, May 30, 2012

8AMs all over again...smh

After spending a semester waking up at 9am for your class, waking up at 8am feels harder than Mission Impossible! However, with a goal to enjoy everyday of this summer, I'm slowly adjusting my biological alarm clock! I tried my best to wake up this morning as my nephew tried to beg me to wake up and walk with him to the bus stop, but after last night's unpacking..I just looked at him, and passed out again! Eish, its hard in this fast paced place. I thought things on Luther College's campus was fast...needless to say, I was sooo wrong! Thank goodness I set my watch 15mins faster, so I could be on time for things!


Today was quite a chilled day! My commute to is about an hour and 5 mins. I have to walk to the bus station, which then takes me to the Glenmont metro station, which I then ride to Dupont Circle. After escalating up what seems like the escalator to heaven [at the Dupont Cirlce metro station], I have another 7min walk to the building in which my workshop is being held. I know realized that this is more a training than a class, and so workshop is a befitting term to refer to it.


In the workshop today, we discussed the creation of tools and items that will help us evaluate and monitor our progress with respect to managing and/or creating projects. These in turn will help us establish a development philosophy which we will use not only in a later sections of the workshop, but also in my [our] professional development fields. This is the first time I'm really dealing with development, and it seemed overwhelming at first. So much time, theory, and human perseverance are needed to keep development programs and projects alive. The difference between a program and a project, is that a project is related the an objective of a program, therefore one program can have many projects. Ill leave it at that for now...don't want y'all dozing off or something!


Escalator at Rosslyn Metro...must be like 10 floors!
I got to meet up with Nick Mozena, who is interning at a pretty important financial organisation in Capital Hill. Just now that is fancy! It is always nice to know someone in the area, and this time was no exception. After the workshop, I walked to Farragut West and took the orange line to Rosslyn and met him there.We decided to prepare a welcome dinner so we had to go grocery shopping! He lives in a pretty good area, with the Metro right outside his door, a SafeWay accross the block, and sweet aerial view of a part of Arlington, VA! We prepared a pasta dish, with sauteed onions, garlic and tomatoes in Preggo, and a fresh salad. Way to end a day! Before I knew it, it was almost 10pm...time to head out!


On the red line from Metro station to Glenmont station, I decided to go through with my blog resolution, and I sat next to a random man. We assumed he worked in the military, because he was in full army gear. I went on to ask if he had a good day and he responded with a tentative head nod. As he turned his head to look out the window, I caught sight of his last name on his hat: Paljar. I recall passing through the state of Gujarat, India, and seeing that name somewhere, and without thinking about it I asked him where he was from. Surprisingly he told me that he was from Gujarat, but works in the states. I then went on to tell him of my Indian experiences, and the places I had visited. He was pretty impressed, and was even more so when I started speaking [broken] Hindi to him. For the next 20 minutes we talked about are initial experiences with "America" and how DC is a pretty crazy city when you live here for more than a year or so. Coming from the midwest, I am accustomed to a friendly environment, and also feel overwhelmed when I come to the east as there is a more "individualistic" environment feel. Many people have this assumption, but Mr Paljar interpreted this difference in social norms differently. He feels that it is not necessarily a social norm, but more a personal thing. Everyone has a different psychological complex, and therefore only communicate with those who share the same complex. This makes them keep to themselves when they don't feel that connection. This is evident in the train, bus, and airports. It was great being able to converse about this and see it at the same time. By no means should this be seen as a bad thing, but as different way of living. We all strive for identity...I guess we just go about it differently in different places.


And with that, I ended up at the Glenmont station, and took the bus home. Walking back home, I was able to reflect on my day, and see how fun it was. Even though I enjoy being in a smaller town, I feel that this change is good...after all, it is inevitable! So live and let live!



1 comment: